What Is Lonnie's Room?

There is a room in our home to which I navigate more frequently than the others. It makes me feel secure, it is cozy, and it is quiet. From the peak of the room, there is a large rusty metal angel suspended by a very thin wire. It would apear as if the angel is hovering over me, protecting, and always present. The lighting in the room creates a virtual display of dancing shadows around the angel.

Every evening when I am in "MY ROOM", I think of what Luciano de Crescenzo once said, "We are all like one-winged angels. it is only when we help each other that we can fly."

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Life's Cookbook

Last week I was scanning the pages of a very old cookbook purchased at an auction.  It was very explicit and detailed about how to cook things, can items, store things, clean things, and even how to set one's dinner table.  The book provided interesting reading for an afternoon, and I thought we needed such explicit instructions for other things,.... such as life itself.

How did we get here without instructions?  We learn as we go by our successes and our failures; by discovering what works and what does not, by seeking assistance and support; and by knowing our choices and making decisions based on the knowledge we have sought to make those choices.

If we were to write our recipes for our life cookbook, what would the titles read?  I imagine that each person's book would be different.  The index of my book would include such things as:  Siblings; God's Place in My Life; First Day of School; Moving; Changing Schools; Death and a New Normal; Difficult Years; First Date; Peer Pressure; Getting Married; Raising a Family; Illnesses; Career Life and Aging Gracefully.  I am sure once one gets started, it would be difficult to find an ending to our needs for guidance as there are so many stages in our lives.  If I were to write my recipe for Aging Gracefully (since that is where I am in life), I would want it to look something like this:

                      Lonnie's  Recipe for Aging Gracefully
Ingredients Needed:  1 kind soul;  a bushel of experience;  1 heart full of love;  a pinch of gray hair; a few endearing wrinkles of moderate size;  1 cup of patience;  3 cups of understanding;  2 arms full of hugs, and smiles to taste.   Gently fold all ingredients together, pour into a designer mold of your choice, and enjoy for a lifetime.

If I can follow this recipe, I will consider myself to be blessed! 

What do your recipes for life look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment